CODE OF PROFESSIONAL ETHICS
TENNESSEE COURT REPORTERS ASSOCIATION
The Code of Professional Ethics defines the ethical relationship the public, bench, and the bar have a right to expect from a TCRA member. The Code sets out the conduct of the Member when dealing with the user of reporting services and acquaints the user, as well as the Member, with the following guidelines for professional behavior.
A Member shall:
1. Be fair and impartial toward each participant in all aspects of reported proceedings and always offer to provide comparable services to all parties in a proceeding.
2. Be alert to situations that are conflicts of interest or that may give the appearance of a conflict of interest. If a conflict or a potential conflict arises, the Member shall disclose that conflict or potential conflict.
3. Guard against not only the fact but the appearance of impropriety.
4. Preserve the confidentiality and ensure the security of information, oral or written, entrusted to the Member by any of the parties in a proceeding.
5. Be truthful and accurate when making public statements or when advertising the Member’s qualifications or the services provided.
6. Refrain, as an official reporter, from freelance reporting activities that interfere with official duties and obligations.
7. Determine fees independently, except when established by statute or court order, entering into no unlawful agreements with other reporters on the fees to any user.
8. Refrain from giving, directly or indirectly, any gift, incentive, reward or anything of value to attorneys, clients, witnesses, insurance companies, or any other persons or entities associated with the litigation, or to the representatives or agents of any of the foregoing, except (1) items that do not exceed $25 in the aggregate per recipient each year; or (2) pro bono services as defined by any applicable state and local laws, rules, and regulations. Nothing offered in exchange for future work is permissible regardless of its value.
9. Maintain the integrity of the reporting profession.
10. Abide by the Constitution and Bylaws of the Tennessee Court Reporters Association.