- Use a great password. Passwords should include a combination of alpha and numeric characters. Using over ten characters is recommended.
- Do not share your password with anyone.
- Do not trust public computers when logging in to your email accounts.
- Use only trusted WiFi connections.
- Be skeptical of incoming email messages. It could be a phishing email, which is a trick spammers use to try gain access to your personal information.
- Do not divulge personal information on your social profiles that may be related to your password.
- Do not use the same password for your online accounts.
- Do not click on suspicious links.
I personally use 1Password to create strong, unique passwords, remember them, and restore them, all directly within my web browser. I never have to worry about forgetting a password again, while at the same time I am secure in knowing my passwords are protected. You may take your information with you so that it's always on hand. Mobile versions of 1Password are available for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad as separate purchases through the iTunes App Store. Apps for Android and Windows Phone 7 are currently in beta.